My Blog List

Friday, March 10, 2017

Almost Missed You by Jessica Strawser



The question as to why a father would take his child away from his mother, suddenly, apparently without any provocation, on a perfect holiday left me puzzled. You did want to know why. No apparent friction, no cracks, no sudden argument. A marriage meant to be - where the couple met through a series of coincidences and were happy.

It adds weight to the old argument that no one actually knows what goes on in a marriage other than the two parties involved and in this case Violet was also one of those who did not know what was going on. This was not an extra marital affair but rather an affair of the heart and one which she could not compete with - a dead fiancee whom she had no inkling about and which brought down her a marriage like a deck of cards.

Secrets come with hidden agendas and Finn's was big time. The story unravels slowly and though you do know why and how the main incident happened, Violet's reaction and story come only almost at the very end.

Skillfully told, the story holds the reader's interest throughout.

Sent to me by Netgalley for an unbiased review, courtesy of St. Martin's Press.

3 comments:

  1. I think that premise would grab my attention too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been noticing good reviews for this one so I think I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds interesting. I like the premise which piqued my curiosity right from the start.

    ReplyDelete